Kodaikanal is one of the very popular and most sought after
Honeymoon and holiday destination hill resorts in South India.
This hill station stands 7200 feet above sea level and situated
in upper palani hills of the westernghats near Madurai in
Tamil Nadu. Kodaikanal is also popularly known as the princes
of Hill Stations.
The cool and misty
weather, the scenic beauty of the rolling hills and the wooded
forest of Kodaikanal and its surroundings will mesmerize any
visitor throughout the year. Walk through the wooded forests,
row in the lake, bath in one of the splashing waterfalls,
go for horse riding and cycling around the lake or simply
admire the views.
History of Kodaikanal :
Kodaikanal is the only Hill
Station in India developed by the Americans.
During 1821, Lieutenant B. S. Ward, a British surveyor was, the first European to visit Kodaikanal, who was on the lookout for a healthy place to live, for the foreign missionaries working in Madurai and the surrounding areas to escape from the summer heat and epidemics.
During 1821, Lieutenant B. S. Ward, a British surveyor was, the first European to visit Kodaikanal, who was on the lookout for a healthy place to live, for the foreign missionaries working in Madurai and the surrounding areas to escape from the summer heat and epidemics.
The early visitors to Kodaikanal,
had to travel by horse, bullock cart or palanquin. The forest
were infested by robbers and wild animals, and yet it became
very popular with the elite families, because of the wonderful
climate and clean air.
In 1834, the Collector of
Madurai climbed up from Devadanapatti and built a small bungalow
at Kodaikanal. By the second half of the 19th century, churches
and other colonial structures started popping up in and around
Kodaikanal. Examples of some beautiful structures are the
Union Church built in 1895, and a large number of private
bungalows.
In 1863, Sir Vere Hendry
Levinge, the Collector of Madurai, created the 60 acres Kodai
Lake by damming three streams flowing through. He stocked
the lake with fish. He also brought the first boat from Tuticorin.
A boat club was formed in Kodaikanal in 1890. Since May 1929,
the club has permitted tourists to join the club as temporary
members and avail of boating facilities.
Missionaries established
church properties. Many of the ruling princes built summer
holiday-homes. Clubs, school and hotels came up. Civic amenities
were introduced. Kodaikanal developed slowly, but steadily.
They also established the famous Kodaikanal International
School.
The extension of the
railway line from Chennai to Tirunelveli (598 kilometres)
made Kodaikanal really popular. A station was built at Ammainayakkanur
- 80 kilometresfrom Kodaikanal. (This was later renamed Kodai
Road.) The first steam engine arrived in 1875 and made the
journey to Kodaikanal far easier. Though construction of the
road was completed in 1914, it was opened to the public only
two years later - in 1916. And suddenly, Kodaikanal was thrown
open to the general public and tourists started flocking the
area in large numbers.
For More Information Contact:
www.btpyatra.com
https://www.facebook.com/btpyatra
Twitter : @btpyatra
http://www.waghobanagari.com/
www.btpyatra.com
https://www.facebook.com/btpyatra
Twitter : @btpyatra
http://www.waghobanagari.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment